Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Miss (Mr) Priss

I guess I was about 15, I know I was a sophomore, so it must have been 1978.  We were living in a trailer next to the construction site where dad was building the last house we lived in.  One night I opened the back door to call the dog and heard a faint meow from under the trailer.  There was a kitty there, but it wasn't coming out.  I left a bowl with a little dog food for it, which was gone the next morning. 

This went on for several days, and I finally coaxed the kitty into the opening to pet him.  When I told my parents, my Dad was adamant, "Don't get in any ideas, that cat's not coming in the house!"  I understood and never suggested it.

At the beginning of November that year my Mom and I were going to visit Ireland for three weeks. Dad admitted that he would have to feed the stray cat while we were gone, so one evening he came out when I fed it and was introduced.

When we got home, the cat owned the house.  Dad had felt sorry, and now the cat's favorite place was sitting on his lap while watching TV.  Mom named it Miss Priss.  It was years later that we realized it was a neutered male, and had to change to Mr. Priss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment